Pontiac GTO Forum | GasTiresOil.com
Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum | GasTiresOil.com > GTO Technical Forum > Engine Tech

Sponsors
Affiliate Sites

Old 02-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
ram09
The Anheuser-Busch Mod

Thinking of a new cam

Thinking of getting a new cam, nothing radical, I don't want to have to retune the ECM, I've got a superchips tuner installed. All I want is a nice lope at idle, just something to help with the appearance that we are doing. Only mods so far are 3 inch cat back exhaust, k&n intake, superchips tuner. I also run 93 octane ALL the time.

2004 Ghost White/Red M6
1 0F 1
Mods to date:
K&N CAI, SLP MAF Sensor, 3in SW Catback w/chambered muffs, BAER 13in brakes front & rear, TB Coolant Bypass, 160 degree thermostat, Royal Purple motor, trans, & rearend oil, black tails
ram09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
littlecrunch2000

Any cam you get, you will need to get a retune. If you dont you will lose a good bit of power and the car will run very rough. You will get a bunch of "I like this cam" so take it all with a grain of salt. I love my 228r cam from Texas Speed as it is very reliable and streetable. Others will say they like their larger cams. Best advice is to hear other goats with various setups either on youtube or in person.

Show: Panasonic Strada, XM, Image Dynamic components, Infinity mids, JL Audio 8" subs in rear deck, Alpine M500 and F450, HID's, short shifter, my creation rear seat delete.
Go: P&P and milled LS6 Heads,TSP 228R cam, Ported Intake and TB, Kooks LTs, Powerbond UDP, MagnaFlow full exhaust, Svede CAI, MSD & NGK, 160*, 05-06 brakes.

Tuned by Corey at Henderson - NEW-441/410 with mods in sig --- PB: 13.42 @ 104.5 and 1.94 60' with only headers, exhaust and CAI.
littlecrunch2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:34 AM   #3
Robofuzz
Benevolent Admin

Send a message via AIM to Robofuzz
You're gonna have to get a tune. There's just no way around it. Even if your car runs without throwing codes (unlikely), you won't get the full potential out of the cam and will probably get really really bad gas mileage. And with an M6, without a proper street tune, you're likely to get bucking and all kinds of bad behavior from your car.

2005 GTO - MBM M6 (slightly modded)
Robofuzz is offline   Reply With Quote