PDA

View Full Version : Octane Booster

littlecrunch2000
11-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Ok, so I am here in El Paso and can only get 91 octane. When I had the car tuned, we made sure that it was tuned for 93. I know that the elevation (4,000ft) plays a big role with the octane and 91 here acts similar to 92ish at sea level. Here is my dilema, I want to go to the track and put some octane booster in the fuel system to get me to at least the 93 octance area if not higher. I dont want to harm the engine by using soem cheap brand crap.

Here is the question. What is the best octane booster out there?

littlecrunch2000
11-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Ok, so here is another part of this question. I just found out there is a VP Fuel point here and they sell 110 octane race fuel. Obviously our cars arent designed for that high of an octane, but if you mix it with regular fuel, does that just increase the octane similar to octane booster? I would think VP Fuels would be much better than off-the-shelf octane booster. What problems will I run into? All info is greatly appreciative

GrumpyGoat
11-15-2011, 11:49 PM
Found this on the web, may help you out.
Octane Boosters and the Truth Behind Them

By Drew Shielly (http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Drew_Shielly)

Higher octane fuel has less BTUs, but still nets power due to the timing advance and higher boost it can achieve. In modern vehicles with knock sensors the timing is constantly varied to achieve the best balance between performance and economy. Because this adjustment takes time, simply switching to higher octane at the track is not good enough. The fuel needs to be run in advance to allow the car to compensate for it. So using 91 all the time and then going to the track and filling up with 95 is not going to help your track times. You will have a faster car on the ride home though.
The other end of the spectrum is less octane. The down side here is the risk or pre-ignition and high EGTS. Both of these can lead to melted or bend pistons. Valves and the head is also placed in risk. If you have a modern vehicle it will detect this and retard timing to prevent damage. This timing modification is easy to detect with an OBDII scanner and it an easy to diagnose too fuel with too little octane.
Because of the above reasons, a lot of people turn to the boosters as a way of having both good fuel commonly and good performance at the track. The problem with them is most do not work. If you do find one what works, adding it to your tank a day before you go to the track can be beneficial. Despite the benefit, use boosters sparingly as most rely on MMT as a means of boosting the octane. Excessive MMT can cause problems with sensors, injectors, or even the exhaust.
By now you are probably confused again by what all of this means. To sum it up, if your car has no changes to compression, raised RPM limiter, or lots of boost, you should probably use whatever fuel the dealer recommends. If you have a race built motor, stick to a race fuel that meets the need of your engine. If you have a lightly tuned engine and enjoy the occasional track day, throw in a bottle of octane booster the day before and call it a day. Do not rely on boosters all of the time.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/802568

littlecrunch2000
11-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Awesome info. So with that said, my track is 30 miles away. I filled up about a 1/4 tank and added Lucas Oil products octane booster right before I filled up to mix it in. Then drove to the track and raced there. I should have felt the increase in power (which I think I did) at the track.

With mods in signature, I would put myself at a lightly tuned engine or even a slightly race tuned engine with the cam and ported intake and TB. So I dont think it would hurt to run the 110 octane (diluted of course...thinking 2 gallons for about a quarter tank for a total of 6 gallons of fuel) and run the car for a day before the track and then fill up the tank full way after the track so the octane is even more diluted to prevent any prolonged damage. What do we think?

GrumpyGoat
11-16-2011, 09:37 PM
Running higher octane shouldn't hurt anything. It's going with lower octane on high compression engines that will damage internals, some people want to use Avgas for Its high octane content but it also contains other additives to keep it from freezing and lead which will kill your cats if you have some.

svede1212
01-14-2012, 08:58 AM
There's some good info here from Grumpy. Higher octane does not give more power, it gives less but the engine can produce more if the tune is adjusted (timing) to take advantage of the higher octane suppressing any knock. Bottom line is if you don't get knock you don't need a higher octane.

Also you are not going to get any significant octane boost from a little bottle. If you want to boost the octane and do it affordably you add a either a gallon of acetone or xylyene. There's a formula for it if you Google it.

Infernus
01-17-2012, 08:54 PM
you are not going to get any significant octane boost from a little bottle.

This. I want to say 1 bottle per tank nets you 1/3-1/2 of a point. Depends on the ratio you mix it in obviously. But it's pretty much snake oil.